Monday 21 December 2009

Drink Like A Fish


I hit the jackpot today :D
But that's not something I'm going to go into.

I was actually intending to go on a rant of sorts about orthodox indian values/rules and the stricter they seem the older you get...
...but I'm a bit to sleepy for that now.

And so.
Instead. Lets discuss fish.
:D






This has been bugging me for awhile now.
WHY do people use the term drink like a fish??
Do fishes actually drink?

I mean it doesn't quite make sense, does it?
Fishes are surrounded by water. They wouldn't have to actively drink the water right?
I mean its like taken in through their gills and/or osmosis-ed through their scales, right?
(ok I dunno about the scale osmosis LOL)


So you know what we're (we being you and me) going to do now?
We, my dear readers, are going to look up the drinking habits of fish on the net.
(I could've just said we're going to google fish drinking habits. Lesser words. -_-)

But I digress :D



(This picture serves as a commercial break while I conduct my research)

...

...

...

*drumroll*



ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG.
Ok. Freshwater fish do not drink water. They Osmosise!
BUT SALTWATER FISH DO DRINK WATER!
wtf.
The SALTWATER FISHES have to freaking DRINK ALOT OF WATER just to survive!

EH.
Means for the freshwater fish my osmosis theory was trueeeeeeeee.
I am genius, I tell you.


THIS IS SO COOL.
http://www.herebeanswers.com/2009/10/drinking-habits-of-freshwater-and.html
GO READ.
Its educational!
:D

If you want something more long-winded, then refer to this.
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/dec96/847855291.Zo.r.html
or
http://indianapublicmedia.org/amomentofscience/do-fish-drink/
I warn you. I only read the first article. :D
The rest I skimmed through to make sure the first article was true.
Cos if it wasn't, then I'd look like an idiot, right?


:D
I do believe I have answered my own question in this post.
SOME fish DO drink. And when they do, they drink ALOT.
Hence the idiom :D







Y'all are sooooo lucky man.
Where got other bloggers educate their readers on fish like I have just done?

...

You're welcome :D



p.s. random fact Kington presented me with :
Sloths remain hanging even after they die, often until their bodies have become completely decomposed and all that’s left is a skeleton.

EW.

~vid~

No comments:

Post a Comment